2019 FNESC Annual Indigenous Education Conference Opportunity
Vancouver, BC November 29 – 30
Two Okanagan School of Education Bachelor of Education (BEd) Interns will be selected to attend an-all expenses* paid trip to the 2019 First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) Annual Indigenous Education Conference in Vancouver. The conference takes place November 29 to 30; however, the selected interns are expected to leave Kelowna Thursday late afternoon or evening.
*All expense paid trip includes:
- Two-day conference registration fees
- Flights to and from Vancouver
- Transportation to and from the hotel in Vancouver
- Shared two-nights accommodation at the Bayshore Inn, Vancouver
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided by the conference on Friday, Nov. 29
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided by the conference on Saturday, Nov. 30
- A per diem rate of $30 will be provided for dinner on Saturday, November 30
- Transportation to and from the Kelowna Airport to your home is not included
- Meals on Thursday, Nov. 28 is not included
- You must be willing to share a hotel room with an intern colleague or arrange and pay for your own accommodation in Vancouver for November 28 – 30
- The flight from Kelowna to Vancouver will be on Thursday, Nov. 28 between the late afternoon and evening. On Nov. 28 there is an Opening Social Evening and Auction. You may or not be able to attend this depending on flight times.
- You will be required to leave TOC plans for Friday, Nov. 29 as required by your Mentor Teacher
How to apply
Deadline: October 21
- Complete the information section in the application form
- Answer the two questions in this application. Please note the due date of January 31, 2020 for question 2.
- Submit the signed approvals with support statements from your Mentor Teacher; and your Faculty Advisor
- Submit the application and support statements to email@example.com by Oct. 21
Two interns will be selected based on the quality of their responses and the statements of support from their Mentor Teacher and Faculty Advisor.
The Undergraduate Program Committee is responsible for reviewing all applications and selecting the interns.
Submissions must be received by October 21. Selected interns will be notified by October 28.
About the First Nations Education Steering Committee Annual Indigenous Education Conference
Complete information about the conference can be found on their website, http://www.fnesc.ca/conference/. Below is an excerpt:
The First Nations Education Steering Committee’s 25th Annual Indigenous Education Conference brings people together to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for helping First Nations learners reach their full potential, and transform relationships for the advancement of quality First Nations education.
Held at The Westin Bayshore Hotel in downtown Vancouver, BC, the conference features concurrent workshops, exhibitors, plenary presentations and networking opportunities.
Each year, approximately 800 educators attend this exciting event.
- November 28, 2019 Opening Social Evening and Auction
- November 29-30, 2019 Main Conference Day
With this year’s theme, Meeting Diverse Student Needs, we will focus on the following topics:
- meeting the needs of current and former children and youth in care
- creating effective Local Education Agreements and other accountability tools
- creating learning environments and curricula that are inclusive and responsive
- developing quality First Nations language and culture programming
In particular we will consider each of those topics in the context of the landmark BC Tripartite Education Agreement, signed by Canada, BC and FNESC in July 2018.