Join a community of educators invested in life-long learning.
The Bachelor of Education program focuses on theory-practice connections, offers extensive practical experience, and fosters professional learning throughout ones’ career. An essential part of our program is our extensive practical experience, offering prospective teachers hands-on experience in the classroom. Our mentor teachers play a very important role in this experience and we are appreciative of all the knowledge and time they share with our candidates.
Mentor teachers are eligible for 3.0 UBC Okanagan tuition credits if they host a BEd teacher candidate for immersive field experiences.
Community field mentors are eligible for 1.5 UBC Okanagan tuition credits for hosting teacher candidate(s) during the Community Field Experience in May.
These tuition credits will be issued in the spring and can be redeemed for Okanagan School of Education graduate and post-baccalaureate courses and seminars:
- UBC Okanagan’s Summer Institute in Education
- Post-Baccalaureate Programs
- Graduate Courses
Note: These tuition credits are valid for two years and are not transferable.
Tuition Fee Certificates are given to mentor teachers and community field mentors in credit denominations to be used in lieu of tuition payments for courses offered by the Okanagan School of Education, either undergraduate or graduate (if the chosen course is approved for the student’s UBC Okanagan graduate program).
The Certificates are applied toward tuition costs. Other charges may apply that are the responsibility of the student. Check “Financial Summary” via www.students.ubc.ca/ssc to view the details of the charges. One may opt out of some fees – for more information see current UBC Okanagan Calendar under: Fees>Student and Student Society Fees>Student Fees. A non-refundable registration deposit is required prior to registration in credit courses.
NOTE: Revenue Canada regards these certificates as a taxable benefit. A T4A will be issued mid to late February and downloadable via the Student Service Centre. A T2202A (Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate) will be issued mid to late February and downloadable via the Student Service Centre.
- Confirm by email with the Okanagan School of Education Office, email@example.com that you are interested in using the tuition credits offered
- When the time comes, register for the course you are interested in taking.
- Email our office – firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you are registered and include name, student number, course number and section number.
- We will then send you the official Tuition Fee Certificate with your certificate number, name, student number, course and section number on it, signed by the Director of Undergraduate Programs.
- Take your certificate in person or e-mail to Student Services email@example.com as proof of payment. Make sure to sign the certificate. They will process your certificate for the credits indicated (keep a copy for your records).
- Take and enjoy your course! Thanks again for mentoring a BEd student from the Okanagan School ofEducation.
Note: Please keep your Certificate in a safe place, and note the expiry date. The Okanagan School of Education does not reissue certificates if they are lost or stolen. Certificates are non-transferable and have no cash surrender value.
Field Experience Guide
This guide outlines key details about the field experience program at the Okanagan School of Education. It is intended to serve as a reference for mentors, administrators, faculty advisors, and Bachelor of Education students (year one candidates and year two interns).